WHY RECYCLE YOUR ICT DEVICES ?
As new models of ICT devices are released so regularly, keeping up with the latest technology probably means you have old computers, tablets or smartphones sitting around, especially as there aren't a lot of venues for recycling available and trade-ins are not so common with retailers.
10 great reasons
why you should REBOOT your ICT devices
1. Offering older but working computers / devices so they can be reused is a responsible and sustainable gesture for the earth.
2. Recycling helps conserve natural resources used in electronics manufacturing which are rare and limited in supply (copper, silver, aluminium, platinum and palladium)
3. On average people replace their smartphones after just under 2 years, although their lifespan can extend to 10 years. There can be a lot of useful life left in your devices which can really benefit others!
4. Up to 75% of the CO2 emissions throughout the life of a digital device mainly comes from the manufacturing process. The environmental impact is so big that each device would have to be used 40 - 90 years to offset the impact. While we won't be able engage the devices for that many years, let's at least increase their lifespans with a REBOOT by a few extra years.
5. The volume of e-waste is huge and has reached record high levels: 50 million metric tons worldwide per year.
6. Most devices aren't disposed of properly, largely ending up in landfills, creating huge human health and environmental risks. Toxic residues leak and contaminate the soil, air and water.
7. E-contamination affects surrounding ecosystems, affecting biodiversity, and putting food supply systems and water sources at risk.
8. Western Africa and parts of Asia have become dumping grounds for much of the world's e-waste, increasing health and environmental risks to their inhabitants.
9. Materials used in the devices, such as flame retardants and heavy metals lead and mercury, are hazardous to human health, documented risk to the brain nervous system, lungs, kidneys and links to certain cancers.
10. Feel good about helping the earth while helping school children get up to speed on their digital learning.